Micromoog Restoration

My first monosynth was a micromoog. I got a good deal on it, and it had issues, but I loved it. At that time I didn’t know electronics, and I could barely get the thing calibrated, but it made some sounds I had never heard before. I ended up coming to my senses and selling it, but I always wanted another crack at one.

A local musician sold me this micromoog ripe for restoration. It’s keys were in pretty bad shape, had some bad switches, and an odd pitch issue, but I was eager to take it on.

IMG_4052

I started by opening it up for a cleaning. Someone had done an interesting “mod” to the Oscillator>Filter switch using speaker wire. I removed that silliness and continued cleaning the insides. The modulation selector switch is a bit loose, and I am still deciding if it needs replacing or can be fixed – I’ll need to remove it first.

IMG_4073

I gave all knobs and switches a petroleum bath. This restores their original color (the upper one is cleaned, the lower one not). It is dirty and slimy, but makes a huge difference.

IMG_4079

Next up was the keys. When I got it the teeth were staggered and had inconsistent gates. I placed an order for new bushings, and got to work.

IMG_4094

The key bed was filthy, and the bushings rotten (what do you expect after 40 years). I took it all apart and gave everything a good cleaning. All keys were cleaned, all bushing greased and replaced, and the metal keys cleaned as well, then put it back together.

IMG_4144

Finally I re-calibrated the unit, and ran final tests on all cv inputs and outputs.

IMG_4151

Now it is humming along perfectly, just like 1975.

IMG_4153

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *.

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>